I'm a family and tech guy by nature, in my late 40s, originally from Israel, currently living and working in NC, USA 'Triangle area'.
I've been around the industry for the past 25+ odd years, currently a DevOps engineer with a bunch of hats in my past: Technical Support roles, Software Engineering (embedded and backend mostly), QA and project management.
My pleasure comes from tinkering with software technology, usually loosing too much sleep because of that. Specifically:
- Scripting and coding in general both on Windows (mostly PowerShell and C#) and on Linux (bash/zsh and PowerShell).
- Locally self hosting at home with TrueNAS SCALE and docker/docker-compose on Ubuntu (really love ZFS on Linux).
- Home-Assistant enthusiast.
- A budding data-hoarder with 37TB of storage, with about 70% full. Hosting my own services (except email) for myself and family.
- Technical Goal for 2023:
- Self host my family's email (I finally looked into it, and it's not as hard as I initially thought).
- Solve home-automation presence detection without burdening family members with additional gadgets.
- Up my chezmoi game, start using comtrya, and need to master terraform on both gcp and aws.
Self appointed challenges I believe I've mastered:
- Using PowerShell as my default Linux shell for over 2 years. I have a few posts archived somewhere about it, but it's offline now and I doubt anyone is interested enough for me to bring it back on.
- Implemented a team-wide chezmoi environment - highly recommend teams look into this aweseome dotfiles management solution.
- TrueNAS SCALE is my new 'relegion' - absolutley amazing local self- hosting solution.