Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair newsletter

Top new questions this week:

Unknown actuator on golf mk3 tdi 110hp

I own a 1997 golf 3 TDI, motor code AFN. At the back of the engine, there is a vacuum actuator which looks like a N75 but isn't. It isn't connected to anything on the actuator side, but is connected …

vw golf tdi  
asked by Tom Macdonald 4 votes
answered by Paulster2 0 votes

How to maintain power windows to keep them from freezing stuck?

I recently got a car with frameless side windows. Whenever a door handle is touched, the door window is automatically slightly lowered to release it from upper sealing. During winters, temperatures …

maintenance power-windows freezing  
asked by Imre 3 votes
answered by TDHofstetter 2 votes

What happens when you run out of fuel?

My question is specific to diesel or gasoline (petrol) engines. Many people told me that it is very bad to run out of diesel since it can damage the engine and it's difficult to re-engage it …

engine fuel  
asked by user6837 3 votes
answered by Paulster2 1 vote

Repairing a thin cut in exhaust pipe

I am looking for a way to repair a small hole I created in my exhaust. The hole is about 1 to 1.5 inches long and only about the width of a cutting wheel (you can guess how the hole got there). I …

asked by Mutmatt 3 votes
answered by dobey 3 votes

Bike is sometimes not wanting to shift into neutral

I have a 1982 Suzuki SP250. The bike "doesn't want" to shift into neutral sometimes. I have to rock it back and forth and shift up and down the gears a for a while before it shifts. I have changed the …

motorcycle suzuki  
asked by Chris McCall 2 votes

Rattling noise from passenger side Air Vent

My wife has a 2008 Jeep Liberty. Recently when the air is on (vent, heat or AC) a rattling noise that I would say sounds similar bearings is coming from the passenger side dash air vent. …

jeep vents  
asked by James 2 votes
answered by dobey 0 votes

Turning Key Results In No Sound, Rarely

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. For almost 2 years now, when I try to start the car it results in no sounds from the motor - this happens about 5% of the time. The other 95% it starts on the first …

asked by Ryan 1 vote
answered by Allan Osborne 0 votes

Greatest hits from previous weeks:

Running with straight water as coolant in the summer. Is it fine?

I grew up flushing the coolant twice yearly. In the Spring, you drain the antifreeze and fill with straight water for the summer. In the Fall, you drain the water and put in a 50/50 antifreeze/water …

asked by Wulfhart 12 votes
answered by Bob Cross 17 votes

Is it OK to drive Accord with 5% oil life left as indicated?

The 2010 Accord indicates that only 15% oil life is left. Oil level seems to be OK. The driver would rather complete the trip, which is 1400 more miles. At the beginning of the trip there were 20% …

honda oil-change accord  
asked by AlexKuznetsov 3 votes
answered by Larry 5 votes

Can you answer these?

2008 KIA Sedona will not crank

2008 KIA Sedona has power but will not turnover. Everything works except starter. I tried to tighten the alt ground wire and forgot to remove the battery cable (my error), the alt arched and parked. …

starting kia sedona  
asked by Anie 1 vote

Car shaking on startup

My car has been shaking on start-up. The check-engine light has been on/off periodically. When I originally took it in, my mechanic replaced a sensor (and a whole bunch of other stuff not related to …

mazda sparkplugs misfire shaking  
asked by LukeP 1 vote
Subscribe to more Stack Exchange newsletters

Unsubscribe from this newsletter or change your email preferences by visiting your subscriptions page on

Questions? Comments? Let us know on our feedback site. If you no longer want to receive mail from Stack Exchange, unsubscribe from all emails.

Stack Exchange, Inc. 110 William St, 28th Floor, NY NY 10038 <3