The world’s largest programming
community is growing
Stack Exchange is a network of 130+ Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the preeminent site for programmers to find, ask, and answer questions about software development. Founded in 2008 by Joel Spolsky and Jeff Atwood, the company was built on the premise that serving the developer community at large would lead to a better, smarter Internet. Since then, the Stack Exchange network has grown into a top-50 online destination, with Stack Overflow alone serving more than 26 million professional and novice programmers every month. The broader Stack Exchange Network has expanded to cover topics as diverse as Mathematics, Home Improvement, Statistics, and English Language and Usage.
Hundreds of communities built by narrowly focused groups of experts.
Our talent site that connects Stack Overflow users with employers.
Stack Exchange Company Timeline
- Joel Spolsky, then CEO of Fog Creek Software and author of widely read blog, Joel on Software, called Jeff Atwood, also well-known for his popular Coding Horror blog with the idea to start a Q&A site
- Joel Spolsky and Jeff Atwood launch Stack Overflow
- Series A $6M led by Union Square Ventures
- Stack Exchange Network launches, bringing Stack Overflow-style Q&A to new topics (currently 133)
- Stack Overflow Careers launches
- Series B $12M led by Index Ventures with participation from Spark Capital and Union Square Ventures
- Stack Overflow Careers launches its first localized site for German speakers (joined by French a year later)
- Series C $10M led by Bezos Expeditions
- Stack Exchange shipped native Android and iOS mobile apps
- Stack Overflow launches localized sites in Portuguese and Japanese
- Series D $40M led by Andreessen Horowitz with participation from Index Ventures, Spark Capital, and Union Square Ventures
2014 Stack Exchange Network Statistics
Visits; nearly 300 million unique visitors globally 900M+
Pageviews (4.8 billion of them on Stack Overflow) 6.4B
Questions asked 3.1M
Edits, which improved the quality of posts 2.7M
Accepted Answers 1.8M
Registered Stack Overflow users 3.8M
Company Pages on Stack Overflow Careers8,000+
Stack Exchange Offices
Stack Exchange currently employs more than 200 people in its head offices in New York, Denver, and London as well as remote workers from Israel, Brazil, Japan, Germany, Slovenia, France, Russia, the Philippines, Canada, the UK, and the United States. The company is committed to diversity in the workplace and is currently hiring.